Sunday, August 24, 2014

I Hate School Uniforms!

Now that I have had both children in both environments. Non-uniformed and uniformed. I gotta say I HATE having my daughter wear school uniforms. Here are a few reasons why.

1. I don't like the price tag. She already has summer clothes, that are completely find for her to wear. I don't need the extra cost of buying outfits for 5 days a week. Not only do you have to buy an entire wardrobe you have to add in shoes, and sock, tights whatever!

2. I do not like how they have specific colors! It's bad enough they all have to look the same, but being limited to 3 different colors doesn't help anything!

3. Everyone looks the same! As a teacher when I am first learning kids names it is hard for me to tell them apart. I have several boys in particular that look alike and the wearing the same outfit does not help anything!

4. I don't understand the argument "uniforms are awesome I have no fight in the mornings on what they are going to wear!" Um, hello?! My daughter picks out her outfit the night before so there is no rushing in the morning, she is practicing making GOOD choices on what to wear, and in actuality there is almost NOTHING in her drawers that would be out of "dress code"so this argument is invalid.

5. I have also heard the argument "my child doesn't like itchy clothes etc" well I have heard of uniforms being uncomfortable and itchy. I LOATHED my dress code in public school. Those stupid polo shirts were so uncomfortable, itchy and they shrank almost every time you washed them!

6. I don't like being told what to spend my money on! I want to buy my kids clothes they WANT to wear (within reason) not something they have to wear just to look like everyone else they go to school with.

7. I hate being told how to dress them. What's wrong with an appropriate length t-shirt and jeans?

8. In the real world most jobs don't have a uniform. Dress code? Sure. Uniform? Very rare.

9. Uniforms for preschoolers just seems absurd to me! They are only little once! Let their free spirit out!

10. I like my girls to pick out what they want to wear to give them individuality, and proper decision making skills. They get to go to school knowing they are dressed like whatever fits their personality! As crazy, spunky, normal, or outlandish it may be!






No comments:

Post a Comment