Wednesday, July 2, 2014

All That Matters

The lazy days of summer break starts to taper off and we are left with first grade school supplies looming over our heads. To my surprise it is already the second of July which means Kylie Jade has a little over a month before her first grade year starts.
I find myself just freezing time. Enjoying watching my girls bond as sisters grow and the freedom to sleep in, lounge around, and enjoy the fresh summer breeze.
We have full blown ventured into Summer Camp mode and have allowed Kylie Jade to pick camps based off her peaking interests.
The first two camps she chose were gymnastics camp, she has done one cheer camp and she still has 2 more weeks of cheer, back hand spring camp and one more gymnastics camp before this break closes off into back to school mode. She has learned a surprisingly lot as she now  has a fantastic High V, one hand cartwheels are coming along wonderfully, and she has powered through those back flips fearlessly and with minimal discomfort. I have to say when this kid puts her mind to something she can blow me away with her effort.
As I listen to my girls giggle and play in the other room I cannot help but feel like summer break has been good for both of them. As much as I like routine and Kylie Jade thrives in school we enjoy some time to relax and learn from the world around us. They have built forts and castles out of pillows and blankets. Kylie Jade has been teaching Madilyn to do cartwheels and kick over from bridge. Madilyn has finally learned to ride a bike with minimal assistance and has discovered she CAN swing herself if she really wants too.
I have watched my girls grow and am so fascinated with each year that we are blessed with. Madilyn's independence has soared. She has figured out how to trace her name and frequently says "let me try it" or "I can do this." It has been so wonderful to see the twinkle in her eye when she just gets it.
I didn't realize how different six is from five. In one short year Kylie has learned to read, has shown so much more compassion and has been eager to teach her sister. She has become so witty and aggressive in her passions. She has turned into a young girl that laughs a lot, and just is completely full of life. I have seen her interests grow more intense and she is starting to get stronger. Her personality has turned from one of a young child to a little girl. I see her asking questions where the answers get more sticky ("why did God make bad guys?" "Why do some people not love their animals and take care of them?" "Why do people do bad things?") I see her really showing a passion for Our Creator and her prayers are becoming more about praying for people asking to help them and less about her and hoping she gets what she wants. I have been very proud of the girl she is turning into.
As summer starts to drift away and flutter off into memories and snap shots I want to remember this moment. Remember my girls as they are now, remember how close our bonds are. As much as I can't wait for the routine of the school year I think I will enjoy the rest of our break and just soak it all in. Because no matter what season we are in we are always together and ultimately that is all that matters.

Silly girls and their ice cream cones 

cheer camp

My 3 year old girl

Cold stone cuties

At the y

sweet frog surprise 

Camp

Breakfast just me and these chicks

Best buddies

Best buds

We still make time for studies

Meeting Elsa and Anna

She can still make it to the top

Pictures with Olaf 

Back hand spring practice


2 comments:

  1. Isn't it crazy how things change each season and each year? Looking back at pictures of last Summer makes me miss last Summer, but I also want to live in the moment THIS Summer.I love seeing all the pictures you post. They stay so busy. :)

    I can't believe she only has a month before school starts. First grade is a big one. But I bet she eats it up. She cracked me up when she asked if her and Samantha could do homework that day we were over there. I just can't wait to see all her school supplies!!!

    You have me so excited for Samantha to turn 6. The deeper their conversations are, the easier it is to build a relationship. I just hope Samantha will continue to feel so comfortable talking about more serious subjects. She stared asking those sorts of questions a couple of months ago. At first it took me by surprise. Her main one was, "Why don't some parents take care of their children?" (Which I am sure stemmed from all the talk about foster care.) Her other question is, "Why do some children die?" Breaks. My. Heart. But it is a nice opportunity to teach her about compassion and forgiveness and all that sort of stuff that isn't just "academic."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Kylie's asked the questions before but didn't sit for a lengthy conversation now we can sit and talk a long time and research answers. Kylie asked my why a dad killed his son by leaving him in a hot car she heard that being talked about at gymnastics. It took awhile to explain that some people are sick I don't want to scare her off from the world but I want her to know it isn't right. My girls stay busy but we love it. I will post supplies whenever we buy them shw is excited for Sam to spend the night next Friday!

      Delete