Sunday, June 8, 2014

A Part Of Our Story

Today I realized why I do not stay home, the bickering, the constant work load of keeping this impossible dirty house spotless is a daunting task. I sat with the girls one on one and worked on handwriting and puzzles with Madilyn (colors and shapes) and let Kylie independently do her sight words, math and shapes work sheets that she begs to do from the minute she wakes up until I give into her incessant request and pull the damn work sheets down for her to complete. I stare at my daughter and wonder where in the hell she got her thirst for knowledge. I never much cared for school, or work, or school, or work...well I guess you get the picture. 

As she works as fast as lightening cutting, gluing and laughing hysterically at whatever joke she is telling herself, I find myself in disbelief. Is this six year old child really mine? I mean all mine? Like my spawn? Did I really create this child that loves MATH?! I mean math, the one thing I loathe more than ANYTHING in the ENTIRE world...yes including roaches. 

I often find myself staring at my Kylie as she is so different than me. She is flexible, can do back flips at age six, has the passion for gymnastics and is completely fearless. Her love of learning makes her seem like an alien to me and I find myself disgusted at her beauty. I mean, really, is it necessary that a six year old have abs? Whatever. 

As summer is rearing it's glorious head into our household I find that I care less and just take the day for what it is. I have deemed this past weekend as a chill weekend. We went swimming for hours and ate lunch later than usual and took showers in the middle of the day only to go back out and ride bikes, chase birds, and attempt one handed cartwheels. I feel so much pressure off my shoulders and I actually find myself enjoying just walking with them, or brushing their hair, or watching them try on every friggin outfit in their drawers...because we had no schedule. We had nowhere to go. We had no one to meet up with. We just had the day to enjoy. 

As much as I enjoyed our hands off weekend I do so look forward to this week back to reality. Back to work, and all the things that come with it. Friends, family, laughing, and competing. I can only handle alienating ourselves for so long before I just go bat shit cray cray. Back to normalcy. Ah, yes schedules! Bedtime so I can have me time with my man I love the fact that we have schedules I do not, for one second, regret the fact that we have our children on a wonderful sleep schedule. You people can have your kids staying up til one in the morning. I will be over here enjoying their 8 o'clock bedtime and husband snuggles ALL night long with no kids interrupting our adult conversation! Oh yea this is the LIFE! 

2 comments:

  1. Ha Ha. I guess I'm not the only person you know whose kid doesn't have a bedtime? I've met more people this year whose kids have no bedtime than ever before. I thought it was just us. lol We live no schedules. So relaxed. Always learning, but always taking it easy. It's funny how different people are. :) And how different your kids can be than you! I have had the same thoughts about Samantha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha you are not by far the first people I know without a strict bedtime. I enjoy our schedules which is mainly at bedtime that's our main schedule we stick too.

    ReplyDelete