Saturday, January 4, 2014

Society Says So

This year my focus is going to be more on love and family and a lot less on things. In the past I have put too much focus on what everyone else and society says we should be doing with our kids. Do our kids NEED to go to Disney World before they can walk, talk or even realize what is going on? No. Do they need that new bike just because Bella next door has it? No. Do they need you to be on the floor constantly entertaining them not letting them explore or learn anything for themselves? No. Do they need TVs in their bedrooms just so they can have their shows on an endless loop? No. Do they need to be constantly entertained being dragged from place to place? No they don't. 

It has taken me almost 6 years to realize they are happy just being. They like the company of each other, the moments where they get slammed in the face for an impromptu pillow fight, those moments when you grab a fuzzy blanket, a few cups of hot cocoa and pop in a movie and just snuggle against them listening to their steady breaths and talking about the things we see in the movie. 

I am vowing this year to spend less money on stuff and spend more time just watching them, loving them, kissing them and hugging them. Life is flying far too fast to spend it filled with this and that. We can be happy living simply. I don't have to have a new car, new TVs, or overwhelming vacations where we barely have time to savor the moment.

This is going to be a year all about bonding with my kids and husband and just being ourselves. Society can say whatever they want to about that new toy, or your third trip to Disney world for a 3 year old, but we are just going to go on living the simple life. Because we don't need things to make us happy just lots of laughter, snuggles and love. 




4 comments:

  1. Agreed. Obvoouy we discussed this earlier, but it's true. Everyone tells me we deprive Sam because she hasn't been to Disney World. She doesn't even care to go. She says, "Camping! Camping! Camping!"

    Enjoying your kids is much more fun than rushing around in an attempt to make memories even though you are stressed out too much to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And making memories based on others enjoyment (I am going to do this, this and this while I am here because so and so did and I gotta do this while I am here to one up so and so) where does it end?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'd hope so!!! I'm really excited I think we can finally make this happen!!

      Delete